The other thing we learned is that the compass in the BBC micro:bit probably isn't reliable in the real world. In the Maze test, the robot turned a nice 90 degree turn on it's own - only for the compass code to try and adjust it by another 20 degrees or so, and pointing the wrong way.
We found by adjusting the timing so that a spin of say - 350ms - was about 90 degrees, and then using the straight line adjustment code to correct the course, worked a lot better than actually using the compass as you can see by this video below.
We have ordered a BNO055 IMU which a couple of the other teams have been using to good effect, but don't know if we'll get a chance to fit it before the end of March.
All in all, it was a very productive afternoon, and gave us a lot of confidence to move forward.
The challenges this week are to:
- Design a lego contraption to attach to the front of Sputnik to aim the balls in the Space Invaders challenge - and also give the balls a bit of a push. (Probably using a static spring rather than any clever gizmo).
- Start looking at how to use our new Pixy 2 camera. Until now we hadn't worried too much about the Hubble Nebula challenge, since we weren't part of the proper competition. Now that we're competitors we've decided to give it a go. That's really the only challenge now we can't attempt with the current build.